Active Information Management
AIMstor is a single application built to deliver Active Information Management of storage.
If you want to achieve any level of consistent Active Information Management, it is impossible to do so with legacy point solutions on the market today.
Only AIMstor can provide this capability, because of its unique technology:
- AIMstor uses Change Detection technology, in real time.
- AIMstor connects Data-Flow to Policies and Classifications.
- AIMstor makes data Searchable.
Because we set out to create a solution for AIM, we ended up with something that unifies many different solutions.
- Change Detection allows us to provide many Information Security capabilities.
- Matching Data Flow to Policies and Classifications requires a Unified Repository, which in turn allows us to consolidate many Data Protection, Storage Management and Data Reduction solutions into a single application.
- Making data Searchable means that we had to build AIMstor with Next Generation Search Engine technology. This in turn allows us to provide many Compliance and eDiscovery capabilities.
While AIMstor does in fact, unify many various solutions into a single application, it is specifically toward a single goal; Active Information Management. Actively managing your Information, from creation to archive.
It is critical for the effective management of data, to implement solutions that provide true end-to-end management. This can only be accomplished with policies that actively manage the data.
Deploying a consistent policy scheme to manage data from "creation to end of life" - is the elusive goal of many IT managers. The problem is that multiple point products offer many different types of policy management, and apply their brand of metadata to the mix. Only by unifying a broad spectrum of data management tools, and managing them "actively", can one cross the chasm, and achieve consistent metadata, policy consistency, and long term policy and data flow uniformity.
At Cofio, we do this with Active Information Management (AIM), the platform that AIMstor is built upon.
Below is a simplified example of a typical legacy policy stack. Point products have competing metadata, which cannot be unified with other point products, even if they come from the same vendor.
AIMstor cures the hardships that plague policy management of data across the enterprise spectrum. Within AIMstor, a policy can be briefly defined as a combination of two things:
- What you want to do, and
- What you want to do it to
These we term as the operation and the classification.
For Instance, a statement such as: 'I want all the executive documents to be versioned and archived for 5 years from the point that they are created' will neatly translate to policies 'Retain 5 years, keep versions, classification documents, applied to all users in the Exec group'.
Policies can be defined in as little as a few minutes, and once defined, they are compiled to a lower level instruction set suitable for the underlying data management layers, and propagated throughout each component that will manage that policy.
The 'active' elements of policy management within AIMstor can be tuned and reassigned real-time, and on-the-fly.
AIMstor cures the hardships that plague policy consistency of data across the enterprise spectrum. AIMstor Data Protection utilizes a Unified Data Repository (UDR). The UDR provides a place where all data can go. No matter the form, be they backup snapshots, CDP, replicated, mirrored, versioned, or archived files or emails.
The efficiency of the UDR is complimented by its inherent intelligence, as the UDR, together with the AIMstor Metadata Store, provides native indexing, search, single instance storage, deduplication, and lifecycle management for all data.
The end result is a solution that cuts across the business dimensions of an organization, allowing it to maintain consistency in all data sets under its control, from the creation of the data, to its final archive.
AIMstor is designed to allow the administrator to implement a Business Process through the use of policies. Policies are then mapped to machines / groups and to the data management agents that implement those policies.
Uniquely, a large and complex environment can be configured in a matter of minutes rather than days through the use of only two screens.
The policy definition screen enables the administrator to design the business objective. The dataflow screen then defines where those policies and the way data is flows through reflecting the information life cycle.
Once this is completed, the administrator need only apply that new topology. The software will compile those policies into more granular instructions and send those instructions to each of the elements involved in data management activity.
AIMstor classifies data in real time, based upon policies assigned to any set of data (structured, unstructured, document type, file type, owner, etc.)
Because of the ability to combine various Classifications into a single policy, AIMstor allows Classifications that are both broad and sweeping, and others that are incredibly granular, limited only by your imagination.
Tagging documents or just Excel files from the CFO, from a particular folder local or on the network, can be done in seconds. Such a policy could be applied for the life of such data, starting the moment such data is created. Imagine your joy 3 years later when an auditor asks for all CFO documents from Q4 of this year.
The result is a Policy Management capability that takes seconds to configure, Classifications that are automatically attached to data upon creation, and a ability to manage at any level required by the IT administration team, or the CIO.
- Classify a specific data path on a Source machine
- Storage Type
- Classify Removable Storage, Fixed Disks, or both
- Exchange Server
- Automatically plugs into Exchange API for application consistent CDP and backup, and for easy mirror or replication. Supports any Exchange Server including Enterprise edition.
- Automatically plugs into SQL Server API for application consistent CDP and backup, and for easy mirror or replication. Supports any SQL Server including Enterprise edition.
- Automatically recognizes and classifies Windows Hyper-V for virtual machines. Provides application consistent CDP and backup, and easy mirror or replication. Supports any Hyper-V Host Server.
- VMware ESX
- Automatically plugs into the VMware vSphere API for ESX servers for vSphere consistent backup. Allows for Changed Block Tracking and recovery using VMware vSphere specifications.
- OS Type
- Classify One or Several specific OS types, such as Linux, Windows 2008, Windows 2003, Vista, XP, and more.
- Classify Document files by their extension, include or exclude types
- Classify Multimedia files by their extension, include or exclude types
- Personal Email
- Classify Microsoft Outlook or Express files by extension
- List specific files to include or exclude
- Enable policies based upon file Owner
- Enable policies based upon Active Directory domain User
- Storage Type
- Enable policies based upon Active Directory domain Group
- Enable policies based upon file Age, or when modified
- List specific processes to include or exclude
- Remote Path
- Enable policies based upon remote path such as network file server