AIMstor Block and Track
Because Humans Are Unpredictable
People can surprise us with their integrity, or lack thereof. For that reason, IT managers can gain great insight into potential trouble spots within the employee ranks by utilizing AIMstor's Track functionality.
Forensic level understanding of all touches to data, over time, with real-time capture is great, but often intrusive. Not with AIMstor. As part of the typical data protection policy, you can assign Track to certain classifications of data (Excel files for instance). You can observe who is doing what, and when, along a specified time line.
- I need to track file histories
- AIMstor Version is data "touch aware" and Tracking can be easily implemented in any Version policy. For the full retention of yoru data, you will be able to see who within the policy group has touched, modified, copied, moved or deleted specific data.
- I need to search the Archive
- AIMstor is built with search engine technology. AIMstor provides an interface to our powerful Metadata Store which can be queried very easily, bringing up full sets of Versions with their full histories, and even with Tracking logs.
- I must capture all file changes
- File versions captured by backup products or even the OS (operating system) come with considerable risk, as they do not capture data in real-time. But AIMstor does, and our Version operation captures all the changes that backup or OS snapshots that occur every few hours will surely miss. AIMstor will capture and track the file changes and the activity log, to the second.
- I need to Auto-Classify my Versions
- AIMstor classifies data the moment it is created. File Versioning can be triggered the moment data is created or changed, or when a policy is created or changed.
AIMstor’s Block function provides much needed control over storage resources by creating barriers to certain data, executables, or even USB storage devices for removing data from the organization. Eliminating the ability to put certain data types (such as movies) on shared storage servers can help greatly reduce used capacity, and employer liabilities – across the entire storage environment.
Configuration of AIMstor Version takes seconds, and can be easily mixed together with other Operations, such as Backup, Replication, Versioning for Archive, Compliance and Information Security requirements, and more. The result is an unmatched ability to create and implement comprehensive, closed-loop, end-to-end policies in minutes. AIMstor Block is a sole-use Operation that is done for specifically targeted policies.
Stopping Things Before They Happen
It would be nice to avoid the disaster of data theft, as intellectual property is a valuable asset within organizations. Having the latest engineering specs downloaded to a thumb drive by a visiting contractor, or rogue employee, isn't a nice thought.
It would also be convenient to enforce rules upon users, so that storage is utilized more efficiently, and more safely.
For that reason, AIMstor includes Block, a security feature that offers another level of protection for organizations for specific or general access to files, or access to certain file sytem capabilities, such as Read, Write, Modify, Move, Delete, Copy.
- I need to police certain file
servers from storage abuse
- AIMstor Block can be finely tuned to Block the ability to Read, Write, Modify, Move, Delete, Copy any specific file or broad file type, such as Multimedia or Documents.
- I need to restrict portable storage
to prevent data theft
- Block can be applied to the Removable Storage, and help in one important aspect of Data Loss Prevention.
- I need to keep certain files from
- Just set Block to the Classification type, or specify an individual file. No changes will occur. In fact, if you like, simply create a Write Once, Read Many (WORM) file system in one of your folders using the AIMstor WORM Wizard.
- I need blacklist certain applications,
like iTunes or Skype, from desktops
- Simply use Block to cut off use of certain executable file types. Then apply it to the entire "desktop" machine group. This policy would take seconds to implement with AIMstor.
Configuration of AIMstor Block takes seconds, and can be easily mixed together with the AIMstor Track for more granular understanding of human behavior over time.
- I need to police certain file
- Real-Time Enforcement
- AIMstor operates in real-time, so enforcing a policy, such as Block of a file by someone attempting to touch or change it in some way, is instantaneous.
- Behavior Monitoring
and Forensic Tracking
- Know the Who, What, When, Where, How for all data generation, changes, and movement. Files on primary storage are tracked in real-time. Offering you “up-to-the-second” forensic reporting on touches to any specific file or data set.
- Policy Driven via
- Control, limit, and restrict user behavior through policies and classifications that are assigned the moment data is created.
- Data Leak Prevention
- Block endpoint data theft from any computer to any system (USB, iPod, Cameras, SD memory, cell phones, firewire disks, etc).
- Offline Tracking & Blocking
- Laptops that are used offline, or machines that lose their network connection, can still maintain requirements for tracking, logging and blocking of specific behaviors regarding certain data.
- Behavior Modification and Alert
- Control user behavior through policies and classifications that are assigned the moment data is created. By combining Classification types with Track, Block and other Operations, the level of control you exert, and the variety of policies you implement, are only limited by your imagination.
- File Server Leak Prevention
- Block user initiated network data theft from any machine.
- Protect Intellectual Property
- By implementing creation to archive tracking with AIMstor, you can easily view the subsequent chain-of-custody of all files within your policy parameters.
- Unknown File Prevention
- Block unauthorized files (executables, media, etc.) from being placed on unprotected server share folders.
- Defending Your Company’s Position
- Judges have issued steep fines to major companies for their inability to provide all data arising from items under dispute. AIMstor allows the start to finish snapshot of the totality of data, all originals, copies, changes and even deleted items, together with tracking history.
- Process Prevention
- Block specific processes from being launched, for specific users, or to the entire domain.
- Instant WORM Disk Capability
- Combining the AIMstor Classification "Age" together with Block, AIMstor can turn a portion of the primary storage disk into a WORM file system in seconds. WORM (Write Once, Read Many) capability has many applications, including Legal Hold and specialized archive.
Tracking Applied To Versions
Track can be applied to primary storage, such as on a laptop, or on a file server folder, in which case all events can be viewed within the logs or within a Tracking Report. In addition, you can also mix Track with the AIMstor Version function, as shown below.